Attention All Artistic People !

by Llamas
Chat about anything here casually or play forum games. Post count does not count here.

Llamas
Forum Council
Forum Council

Attention All Artistic People !

Postby Llamas » September 27th, 2015, 1:08 am

Soo i've been wanting to buy a tablet to draw with but i have no knowledge whatsoever on what's good and what isn't. I thought maybe those who has been using a tablet to draw on the computer with would help out pleaseeee if you guys have any recommendations on what to buy. Nothing too expensive maybe around $50~$100 for a decent one? . ;Up
llamas are love llamas are life

Elfire
Forum Council
Forum Council

Re: Attention All Artistic People !

Postby Elfire » September 27th, 2015, 1:51 am

Hi! I'm mostly familiar with Wacom tablets, so I can give you my two cents on those ;Grin

The one I have is a Bamboo CTL-470. It's a cheap (I paid around ~$50) tablet, but it's pretty good for its price. If you're new to digital art, the features it offers should be enough. The pen could be more comfortable, but it's not terrible and it does not use batteries. The surface is nice!-- I've been wearing it down for more than the past two years and it still holds up... considering I've been using it more to play osu! than draw, it's quite an achievement ;Grin

There was this confusing thing that Wacom did: in a nutshell, they "renamed" their Bamboo product line to Intuous and since they already had Intuous product line, they renamed it to Intuous Pro. And they've released Intuous CTL-480 and CTL-490 which are technically successors to the old Bamboo model that I have. Those two tablets seem like a direct upgrade to me. I've got to play around with the CTL-480 and I definitely liked it much better than my model. The pen was a little bit more comfortable and the surface felt much better while drawing. There are some programmable keys on the tablet that aren't present on the CTL-470. Can't say much about the CTL-490, but I expect it to be just as decent, at the very least...

Now they've also variations of these models that include a touch sensor.. These models are labeled CTH instead of CTL. It might be convenient, but for me, it's not necessary and definitely not something I'd be paying an extra $30 for...

Either way the CTL models should be available for ~80$ or less. However, CTL-470 is discontinued, and probably so is the CTL-480, by now. If you look, you can probably still find them on Amazon or e-bay, etc, but I'd say the latest CTL-490 is a great bet. Those all should be really great entry-level tablets IMO. ;Nml

Intuous Pro models or, let alone, Cintiq, are on a whole different level, but those are a few times more expensive, so... ;Sad
He's burned down many a bridge
And he's scared of walking in the dark
It hurts when the rain falls on his skin
100   Top

Couture
Administrator
Premium Donator
Administrator

Postby Couture » September 27th, 2015, 9:10 am

The tablet I have now is the only one I have ever had but I love it to be honest. This model is a few years old so it's a litter cheaper than what it was.

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Touc ... B00EN27U9U

Running about $65 on Amazon, rated 4.5/5 stars. The pen doesn't require batteries, the surface feels great when drawing, but the only thing I have to complain about it is that the cord that comes with it is a bit short. I use a desktop so it's more of a pain than if you were to use a laptop (you can always buy the wireless accessory kit if you prefer that).
I've had this baby for about...3 years now and have been actively using it over the past 2 years ;Up.
Gabzie ♥ Jordan
"Life isn't a spectator sport. If watching is all you're going to do, then you're going to watch your life go by without you."

Signature Credits to: tgfcoder (my love♥).

tgfcoder
Owner and Creator of Tgforums
Premium Donator
Owner and Creator of Tgforums

Postby tgfcoder » September 27th, 2015, 10:13 am

Yeah I would suggest the small (~A5 sized drawing surface?) Wacom ones. Wacom has a good reputation for reliability and quality. I haven't tried other brands though, so they could be just as good. I had the Wacom Intuos 3 for a while, which was a bit more spendy and larger size (6x8 inch) which was the perfect size for my backpack but more compact doesn't hurt. It's not like paper where more space is necessarily better because you can always scroll. Really big tablets mean you have to use your arm and move your hand more to do strokes, but small is portable and cheaper. Obviously too small and you'll find yourself limited if you want to draw a really long line, for example xD

Llamas
Forum Council
Forum Council

Postby Llamas » September 29th, 2015, 12:17 pm

Thank you everyone, i'll look more into it before deciding what to buy. ;GrinP My friend had asked me to help him with some drawings for this game he's developing but i was only able to draw on paper yet not have a scanner so trying out the digital art ways with a tablet and see how that'll work out. Again thank you guys ;Lttr
llamas are love llamas are life

Return to The Chatroom + Forum Games